AT17

AT17
The blog will now be devoted not to boat building but to my 82-year-old Vertue, Sally II, now undergoing a well needed refit at Johnson & Loftus in Ullapool (and gliding...)

Thursday 24 September 2015

A New Month a New Boat

It won't be an Auk, or a Little Auk. Maybe a Slightly Bigger Auk, or a not so Little Auk, whatever, the new boat is an Auk, to all extents and purposes as drawn by Iain Oughtred and ever so slightly modified by myself, notably to soften the abrupt twist in the garboards to make it easier to get a length of 8mm larch around the forward moulds and into the stem, and touch more rocker too... Close your ears, Iain. Trust me!



Not much to show, but here's what it looked like a few days ago. Rabbet worked in, stems made and the backbone progressing. There's no hurry for this one, so I intend to stretch it out over the winter and fit in some other projects, such as the restoration of the pram the owner of the Auk first showed me. It will be a challenge, and I am not wholely convinced it is possible to restore a boat so badly damaged. Which is why he agreed to a new boat. And one I persuaded him should be a stem dinghy, for its looks, and sailing ability. This is destined for Caithness and a big loch.

No comments:

Post a Comment